Monday 19 March 2012

The Legacies of Indian Ayurveda

Yesterday I attended a seminar on "Metabolic diseases and Genetic testing" at a western suburb hotel as I found the topic interesting since genes and metabolism is at the background of health and lifestyle diseases.

The introduction was given by Dr Sunita Banerjee, Medical Director at Eternesse Antiaging Clinic, Mumbai about role of Allergy testings, Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy and Metabolic fingerprinting. She spoke of how low-grade inflammation to some diet ingredients unsuitable to few individuals as per their genetic constitution can make them feel lethargic and reduce the output and quality of their lives, that too without ever knowing what is affecting them (for example simple things like garlic/ onion which we all love to treat our taste buds with may be affecting a few adversely). She also spoke about How hormones keep fluctuating at different ages and take us through the journey of puberty, youth and ageing, and how the new concept of Bio-identical HRT which involves natural ways of hormone replacement sans HRT side-effects and natural supplements to maintain good hormones in body. It was an interesting talk.

This was followed by Mr George Panagios'(General Manager, Genecare, Australia) talk on what Genes are made of fundamentally, what is Gene testing, neutrigenomics, neutraceuticals and what they do at Genecare. He also showed a video clip of a talk by Dr Ian Brighthope from Australia who has worked a lot on nutrition and genomics. He spoke of interacton between nutrtion and genes and their effect on health; his talk stimulated my mind to rewind and recall a lot many things stored in my brain - like our ancient scriptures of Ayurveda, a book I was given to read by my Spiritual Guru on "Living foods for optimum health" by Brian Clement ,the blood type diet advocated by Peter D'Adamo, a naturopathic physician which is mentioned in his book Eat Right 4 Your Type, a movie I watched some time back and also one of the dreaded times in World history which witnessed an example of Genocide. I thought I must share my views with everyone present there so after the question and answers round with Mr George Panagios, I raised my hand and volunteered so. I spoke thus-

"In  ancient Indian traditional medicine called Ayurveda which dates back to thousands of years,the importance of nutrition on health has been stressed with every person having varying proportions of three doshas(elememtal energies) i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha and that each individual has a unique combination of these. Diet is at the core to maintain this balance and it was advised by the Rishi- Munis to follow different diets as per different combinations of doshas in body. So its known to us from thousands of years and it is now being deciphered differently, researched and documented by so many around the world.

On another note, Mr George rightly mentioned that we are in an age where Fiction becomes Fact and that research is advancing at a jetspeed; like we all have seen this movie called "Gattaca" released in 1997 which revolves around genetic testing and its implications on human beings and so are we  progressing now into that field. But every scientific advance comes with its pros and cons. Also the world has witnessed how Hitler went on a Genocide rampage to propagate only the stronger race and slaying the weaker ones. So as this science is advancing do we also need to formulate rules and regulations to safeguard the information deciphered and prevent discrimination because if Science can be a boon it can also be a curse! "

After I finished, Mr George Panagios gave his inputs and then we headed for next lectures on a new US FDA approved technology called Phadiatop and Immunocap from a swedish firm called Phadia which screens allergic individuals. This name had a sense of familiarity because of the co-incidence that even my surname sounds the same, though spellings differ. Not that I have any experience of this technology as of now, would like to see if it really is an effective screening method!

This was followed by an interesting lecture on mesotherapy by Dr Rebello, Medical director Eternesse Antiaging clinic, Mumbai. After Lecture was over I congratulated Dr Rebello for his informative lecture. Few Doctors who were talking to him complemented me about my views and congratulated me to have presented it very well not forgetting our roots of Ayurveda. This gesture from them  cleared my doubts whether I should have spoken so between all present there. I am glad I did so!

Proud of my Indian Heritage!!! JAI HO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment